Monday, May 26, 2008

So Much For The Union

Everyone says the economy is bad, but what does that mean, really? Is that along the lines of: we have to suspend all civil liberties in order to protect us from the terrorists, and we have to attack Iraq because they have weapons of mass destruction? I moved to Union Point because of the strong tradition of labor rights and organization here. What I've found is that the Unions have been, for the most part, dismantled, and I'm facing a new world of work, with longer hours, lower pay, and no breaks. I guess that's what I get for all my years pursuing little but liver damage, while things changed around me as they inevitably will. The rich will get richer and the poor poorer, and the middle-class will disappear, then we'll have a revolution, and things will get even worse for everyone, then better for awhile, then slowly worse again. The only question is how fast, and will I be able to afford to live through all of this, and if so, will I be drinking Southern Host or huffing tar cleaner? Will I get my liver replaced or will I have to carry it around with me in a shopping cart? If they replace it, will the new one come from victim of the revolution, or will I get David Crosby's old one?

No comments: